Google Meet (https://icts.unitn.it/en/hangoutsmeet)
Do you want to communicate via audio / video with friends or colleagues in a simple way?
Integrated into the Google app suite for Education adopted by UniTrento, Meet is a product for videoconferencing and online meetings intended for members of the University community with differentiated functions based on their profile.
Meet offers a secure infrastructure: the encrypted data safeguard the privacy of all participants, who can connect from a computer or mobile device and access directly via browser, from an event in Google Calendar or from an email invitation, without special plug-ins or additional software.
Who is it for?
- structured personnel (of teaching, research and administration area) and doctoral students, who can use all the functionalities of the tool (start a meeting, schedule it, participate)
- students can only join to the meet (not start, schedule, or record a meet)
How to start a meeting:
- Immediate meeting: to start a new meeting on the fly you can access Meet and use the button "Join a meeting or start it" (instructions (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9302870?hl=en#meet)) or from Gmail (instructions (https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9302870?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en#gmail))
- scheduled meeting: plan a new meeting starting from a new event created on Google Calendar (instructions (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9282963?ref_topic=9282962))
How to participate in a video meeting:
To participate in a meeting organized by others you can:
- log in to Meet and enter the code that the organizer provided you (instructions (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9303069?hl=en&ref_topic=9545016#meet))
- log in to your Google Calendar, reach the planned event and use the link to access the meeting (instructions (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9303069?hl=en&ref_topic=9545016#calendar))
- use the link that the organizer has provided you with other channels, for example via email or chat (instructions (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9303069?hl=en&ref_topic=9545016#url))
Find here some useful operations with links to Google documentation for detailed instructions:
- sharing your screen (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9308856?hl=en&ref_topic=9545472) to show others participants what you see on your monitor
- record a video meeting (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9846751?hl=en) and save it
- changeing the meeting's layout (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9292748?hl=en&ref_topic=9545472): e.g. to see only the participant who’s speaking or up to four participants at the same time
- deactivating your microphone (click on Mute audio at the bottom of the video window or press CRTL + D)
- using the internal chat to send written messages (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9308979?hl=en&ref_topic=9545472) to the participants (e.g. to share a link)
- setting a different audio output (https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9302964?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform), e.g. by replacing the headphones at the speakers or vice versa
- track attendance in video meetings and live streams (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/10268857?hl=en)
- live streaming (https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9308630?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop)
- filter out noise (https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9919960?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop)
Only the organizer of the meeting can also:
- deactivate the microphone of a single participant (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/7501121?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&oco=1)
- remove a participant (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/7501121?hl=en&ref_topic=9545472)
- use breakout rooms (https://support.google.com/meet/answer/10099500?hl=en)
- conduct polls (https://support.google.com/meet/answer/10165071?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid)
- ask participants questions in a video call (https://support.google.com/meet/answer/10146000?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid)
Please find further information in the attached documentation and on the Google support page concerning Meet’s features and limitations (https://support.google.com/a/answer/10077155#meet).