Do you want to communicate via audio/video with friends or colleagues in a simple way?
Designed for the ordinary management of webconferences, strategic for the management of activities (educational and not only) during the lockdown period of spring 2020, Zoom is a webconferencing platform that can be used by PC or smartphone and allows you to organize (as host) or participate (as attendee) in video conferences (calls or meetings)
Who is it for?
There are two types of licenses to use Zomm in UniTrento:
- free license: freely accessible, it allows you to organize webconferences for a maximum duration of 40 minutes with up to 100 simultaneous users
- edu license (reserved for professors): for distance teaching and for the management of events organized at central University level: up to 300 simultaneous users for an unlimited time
For the current year, University makes an full edu-type Zoom license available to professors who have a formal teaching assignment in Esse3.
The "full" license has a configuration defined not at a single user level but at the University level and provides extensive functionality. To obtain their license, professors must authenticate with their own University credentials on https://unitn.zoom.us (select "Sign in"), and will then receive a message on their institutional email with a request for confirmation to continue in the registration.
Students who participate as attendee in video lessons can reach the virtual Zoom classroom set up by the teacher, following his invitation and instructions, signing in with the University username and password.
Zoom cloud space is not unlimited, so the recordings will be permanently deleted after 15 days : we recommend you to download them as soon as possible.
Professors who do not yet have a University email address (attention! Not to be confused with the authentication username, which is anyway in the form name.cognome [at] unitn.it) can request it to the IT Staff of their Department (contact details at https://icts.unitn.it/servizi-
Zoom: important to know
- Zoom and security: cautions and practices to avoid accidents
- usage scenarios (IT): public conference and private meeting
- Zoom:instruction to program a meeting (IT)
How to start a meeting:
Who organizes a Zoom web conference (meeting) is called a host: he must authenticate himself on the platform and according to the license he has available, he can start the meeting immediately, schedule it for a later time or plan it recursively.
How to participate in a video meeting:
To participate in a meeting organized by others:
How to record a video meeting
The host (and the attendee suitably enabled) has the opportunity to record the meeting to allow other people to watch it later.
Find here some useful operation (for more details Zoom's help center di Zoom):
- share your screen to show meeting participants what you see on your monitor
- change the meeting's layout (e.g. see only the participant who's speaking at that moment or all the participants simultaneously on the grid)
- turn off your microphone
- use Zoom's internal chat to send written messages to participants (convenient for example to share a link)
- set a different audio output (e.g. replacing the headphones to the speakers or vice versa)
- add a virtual background
The host (meeting organizer) can also:
- mute the microphone of a single participant or all
- remove a participant
- activate a waiting room to keep attendee waiting before enabling them to access
- manage multiple work groups in the same meeting with the break out rooms